Contact Information

Contact Information:
email:
flyfishing@steelheadguide.com
web Site:
http://www.steelheadguide.com/
home: (440) 734-0689
cell: (440) 773-8064


Friday, July 23, 2010

Hood River, Oregon July 18, 2010

On family business I travel to Portland, Oregon and drove up the Columbia Gorge to spend a few days with my brother’s family who lives in Hood River. Some of my relatives traveled far to visit with me and I met two new generations of cousins for the first time. One year old Deven is the little man, my 3rd generation cousin, I think he was telling me he wants to give wind surfing a try.

Hood River known as the wind surfing capital of the world as well as being known for growing luscious apples, pears, cherries, peaches and other fruits, and for their views of the majestic snowcapped peaks of Mt. Hood and Mt Adam. Hood River has become the destination of choice for wind surfers from around the world. The winds from the Columbia River Gorge, best during the middle of the day, create ideal conditions for riding the waves.

To enjoy the view of "boardheads" at play, drive to the Columbia Gorge Sailpark or follow Second Street to the waterfront. You may even see this unique one of a kind 1959 Cadillac in the parking lot.

The small city has transformed to tourism quite well with its many speciality shops and food choices. I’m told the business streets are closed to traffic on Thursdays and Fridays for tourists to walk about freely, party, eat, shop and enjoy this one of a kind get away.

You can see a huge sand bar in the river that is very unique to the Columbia River. I wanted to learn more about it and was able to find this site which has the city's and river’s history documented. click here.

The tributaries of the Columbia River are choked with steelhead and salmon right now and I have no time on this trip to get after them. While walking about the city I did stop at the Gorge Fly Shop a very complete and informative business to help the fly fisherman. I was told the Columbia is having record runs of steelhead and salmon this year. This really got me pumped up and only made me start thinking when I could come back for an Oregon fly fishing adventure.

Until then; I'll be fishing my spey rods in the tributaries of the the Great Lakes, practicing longer range casts and of course tie some West Coast pretty spey flies - just in case they don't like our Great Lakes patterns. Catching fish will be the bonus, living the experience will be a life time memory.

No comments: